Alessandro Trincone and Young Thug

This summer, I visited the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston. The primary reason why I was very excited to go at the time was the dress in this image. This dress was made by Alessandro Trincone; however, I personally did not know about the piece until famous rapper Young Thug wore it and it ultimately became the face of one of his album covers. Once this album was released, there was a lot of controversy over the dress in the hip-hop community, as it is a community that can be very rampant with heteronormativity and the strict enforcement of gender roles. While Young Thug got a lot of critique for wearing the dress, it also got him a lot of praise (which is why I was so excited to see this dress in person). Seeing it was interesting because it felt like I was seeing the album personified. However, I will say that it was not as exciting as I expected it to be. This raises a question of what a piece means on its own and how its meaning or its significance can change once a celebrity is attached to it.

Comments